The Wine Museum contains a wide-ranging exhibit of 750 objects associated with the wine culture, dating from the 14th century onward and with precedents that go back to ancient times.
This museum is located in one of the old cellars of the Carmelite friars, where wines were first produced in the 14th century. The first individualized wine documented with precision was the “vi de pair”, a digestive wine, which was presented to the occupying French General on September 29, 1809. The wine museum takes up four rooms that were installed in the mid 1960s by Manolo Muntañola, one of Barcelona’s top interior designers of the 20th century.
The tour ends with a walk through the cellar where the Gran Claustro cava is made, with galleries that run beneath the Carmelite Convent. This winery is still operative and displays the production process of Peralada Castle most traditional and cherished cava.